1723 Frans Caspar Schnitger Organ

Hervormde Kerk, Duurswoude/Friesland, The Netherlands

Please click on the picture to start the photo gallery

01-organ gallery 02-hervormde kerk 03-hervormde kerk 04-historic entry 05-church nave 06-organfacade 07-pulpit 08-organ console 09-organ console

Short Introduction and History

Duurswoude and Wijnjeterp together form the Frisian village called Wijnjewoude.
In 1917, organ builder Proper (from Kampen) placed an organ in the church at Duurswoude.
O.B. Wiersma had discovered that this organ was the instrument that Frans Caspar Schnitger had delivered to the Lutheran Church at Zwolle, probably in 1723; he published his discovery in 1972 in the November issue of het ORGEL. The layout of the action suggests that the instrument was originally built as the Rugpositief of another organ.

After changes by J.C. Scheuer in 1837 and 1838, J. C. van Loo rebuilt the organ in 1862.
In 2000-2001 the organ was restored by Bakker & Timmenga (Leeuwarden), Jan Jongepier was the consultant.

The instrument has largely regained its original condition.
The specification: Praestant 8, Rohrfluit 8, Principael 4, GedactQuint 3, Octav 2, Quintanus 1 1/2, Sexquialt, Mixtuur, VoxHumana; pull-down pedals.
Source:  Jan Jongepier: Het ORGEL 98 (2002), nr. 5, 12-16 [summary]

The church room has a dry acoustics with about 1 seconds of reverberation.

See Location in Googlemaps

 

Recording technique

The organ was recorded in May 2007 with 48 kHz, 24 bit, multi-channel for Hauptwerk 2, using the multi-release technique introduced by OrganArt. The stops were recorded with multiple release levels for short and long key attacks for optimal acoustical mapping. Attack sensitive ranks were additionally recorded with multiple attacks for slow and fast key attacks (velocity sensitive set version only)